Monday, May 17, 2010

An interjection of humor (I hope)

Being a Christian is like looking into a funhouse mirror while butt naked with flourescent lighting ever so gently amplifying every scratch, scar, and flaw life has given you. In other words, it sure as hell ain't pretty. So many Christians wander around with their heads so far up their rumps that they never really partake in this journey of reflection. Heck, I can't blame them; after all, does anyone realy enjoy gazing upon a reflection that sends people running and covering their eyes? I know I don't, but in order to be an effective and realistic member of God's royal family, then one must ponder their true motivations: their true identity.

When I first realized that self evaluation is a critical part of Christianity, I nearly crapped myself. After some of the things I've done, thought, and desperately wished to do, the absolute last thing on my list of fun activities was pondering the meaning of all those sins and immature viewpoints. Yet, you cannot understand yourself without the dreaded evaluation and if you do not understand yourself, then how can you grow? So, I flipped on the light and peeked through one eye into mirror. It was at this point that my heart nearly froze. An ugly little girl stared back at me laughing hystericaly while I seriously considered a tonic of prozac and alcohol.

Several days, months, and years have since gone by and I have grown leaps and bounds and I credit my growth to that very disturbing moment in the mirror. Don't get me wrong the road to maturity is long and many distractions lay in wait for me. Truth is I rather enjoy things done in my way and on my time table. In addition, I still have way to many moments in which I could careless about what would Jesus do. There are many-and I admit many realy stands for a legion-circumstances that I would just assume to verbaly tear apart certain individuals who realy are a waste of space and oxygen than to turn the other cheek. Admit it. It would feel so wonderful to just knock the crap out of that arrogant you know what, but tsk tsk Jesus says no. And it's that no that often has me stomping off mumbling under my breath. Guess it's now obvious I have a long way to go before reaching the high ground, but at least I'm on my way.

So why am I telling you this? Good question. I don't know. Just felt like it I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment